This is a very tasty, filling, and healthy soup.
Olive oil for cooking
½ cup onions
2 tbsp minced garlic
¼ cup diced peppers
½ cup pasta or rice
¼ cup cooked garbanzo beans/any other beans
¼ cup diced carrots
¼ cup peas
You can also add other vegetables, depending on what’s in season, like squash, potatoes, greens, etc.
3 cups vegetable broth
½ cup fresh tomatoes, diced
Spices: basil, thyme, rosemary, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a pan large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Sauté the onions and garlic.
- Add the peppers and carrots.
- Add the spices, stir well, and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Add the broth and bring it to a boil.
- Add the tomatoes, peas, pasta/rice, and beans.
- Turn down the heat, cover, and let it simmer until the pasta/rice is cooked. Check to see if you need more broth.
- Grate some cheese (I use Parmesan) over the top and serve.