I made this yesterday. No fat. No dairy. No onions. No garlic. No spices. And still so good. I call it a summer soup because it seems to be to be the kind of soup you can drink on a hot summer evening in Delhi. It’s very light, and very easy to make.
Preparation time: 20 minutes at the most
Cooking time: 20 minutes (no need to watch!)
Get a big stock pot or kadahi or something. Dice and throw into it the following:
1. 2-3 small leeks (only the white part) – wash ’em well!
2. 2 medium-sized yellow squashes (use lauki as a substitute in India)
3. 2 sticks celery, or as much as you can stand.
4. 1 jalapeño – cut off the top and tail (it won’t be too strong)
5. Keep 1 bunch of chopped cilantro ready, but don’t add it yet.
6. Two cans of vegetable broth, or enough to make it soupy!
7. 1 stalk lemongrass, score it well to release the flavor.
Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a low heat and simmer for twenty minutes.
Add the cilantro, stir well, turn off the heat, and eat!