This is a very simple dal, even simpler than my Simple Dal. And very saatvik.
You need: 1 cup arhar (tuvaram paruppur) or moong dal (Payatham paruppu), 1 tbsp ghee or butter, 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera), salt to taste, 1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- Boil the dal until soft with the salt and turmeric.
- When the dal is done, turn off the heat.
- Heat the ghee in a small pan. When it starts to bubble, add the cumin (jeera).
- When the cumin starts to sputter, add it to the dal. Take a spoonful of the dal and add it to the ghee pan to get the last of the ghee – return to the main dal pot.
- Mix well and eat over rice or with rotis.