Lemon rice is light and full of delicate flavors. I love to make it, because it’s so easy, and love to eat it, because it’s delicious. This recipe minimizes the oil used, so it isn’t greasy either.
You need: 1 cup white rice; 1/4 tsp turmeric (haldi/manjapodi); 1 tsp mustard seeds (sarson/kadagu); 1 pinch asafoetida (hing, optional); 1 tbsp lemon juice; 1/4 cup chopped roasted cashews (kaju); salt to taste; 1 tbsp oil; 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (dhaniya/kothamali)
- Add the turmeric to the rice and mix well. Cook the rice. It will be yellow when done.
- Heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds.
- When they start to sputter, add the asafoetida and cashews.
- Stir and take off the heat.
- Mix into the rice.
- Add the lemon juice and cilantro and mix well.
Eat hot or cold.