My mother keeps telling me to try this, so I experimented yesterday. Basically, you throw the vegetables in with the rice in the rice cooker and let it all cook together. It was pretty tasty, but one thing I did notice was that the vegetables were softer than I like. I started with frozen veggies, so that might have had something to do with it. All in all, though, time saver and very easy. I used frozen beans, cauliflower, and peas, and a fresh turnip and onion. I think I will try this with carrots and peas next time, and maybe potato and some other veggies. Maybe even dal.
You need: 1 cup rice of your choice; 2 cups mixed vegetables; 1 tbsp oil; 1 small onion; 1/2 tsp each cumin (jeera) and cayenne (lal mirch); 2 tsp garam masala; salt to taste
- Chop the onion finely.
- If you are using fresh vegetables, chop them into 1/4″ pieces. You can keep them together in a bowl.
- Heat the oil. Add the cumin, cayenne, and garam masala when the oil is hot, and stir.
- Add the onion. Stir.
- When the onion is cooked, add the rest of the vegetables. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a rice cooker. Add enough water to cook the rice, plus 1 cup. Add salt and mix well.
- Cover and set to “cook”.
- Check to see if it is done. My pulao cooked before it switched to “warm”, and had started to catch on the bottom when I took it out.
- Eat hot.