I have one lovely recipe for marinated baked potatoes on here, which my sister gave me. I thought it time for another. This one’s a little different. For starters, it’s crusted in panko breadcrumbs. Also, it’s spiced with harissa. I bought my harissa, but you can make it if you like. I’ve seen recipes out there on the net. Warning! This recipe calls for 8-10 hours marination time. Also, harissa is super spicy. Taste it before you use it.
The low-fat buttermilk in this recipe is what you get in the US in cartons. If you’re in India, use 2 tbsp sour curds (yogurt) mixed with 2/3 cup warm water instead. The yogurt sauce is essentially a variation on cucumber raita.
- 4-5 small potatoes
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- salt to taste (I didn’t add any)
For the sauce:
- 1 cup thick yogurt (ideally Greek yogurt)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1/4 cup finely chopped English cucumber
- salt to taste
- First, mix all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce together, cover, and put it in the fridge.
- Parboil the potatoes. Don’t let them get mushy. Cool in cold water and ice.
- Peel the potatoes and if they are not small, cut them in half.
- Pierce with a fork.
- In a bowl big enough to hold the potatoes, mix the buttermilk and harissa paste. Whisk together.
- Place the peeled potatoes in this mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8-10 hours. Overnight is good, 24 hours even better.
- Take the potatoes out of the fridge after 8-10 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the panko breadcrumbs in a plate.
- Gently stir the buttermilk to make sure the potatoes are well coated with it, then lift out, shake gently, and roll in the panko.
- Cover well with the panko, then place the potatoes on a foil lined, oil sprayed baking dish.
- Cook uncovered in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the panko starts to brown.
- When it starts to brown, turn on the broiler and broil for a few minutes on each side for a nice browning. Be careful, as the panko can burn very fast. You have to watch it constantly.
- Remove from the oven and serve with chilled yogurt sauce.