Preparation time: (assuming filling is leftover) 1 hr
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
For the filling: I used leftovers from the filling for my calzones from the night before (but without the cheese). I sprinkled ¼ cup slivered almonds and about ¼ cup of feta over the veggies. The almonds and feta added a lovely flavor to the veggies. Definitely worth making, if you have the time and the energy.
FOR THE PIE CRUST
This recipe is for a double-layer crust.
You need: 3 cups all-purpose flour; 2 tsp salt; ¾ sup vegetable shortening (it works better than butter); ½ cup cold water
- Put the flour in a bowl and blend in the salt and vegetable shortening. You can use a metal fork to break the shortening into the flour until all the shortening has been worked into the flour. The texture should be loose and grainy, not compacted.
- Chill the dough for an hour in the fridge or 30m in the freezer.
- Add the ½ water and blend in with a fork.
- Divide the dough into two portions and form them into balls.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Roll out one half into about ¼ inch thick and place it in the pie pan. Cut the extra edge off with a butter knife.
- Add the filling. Roll out the top crust.
- Wet your finger and run it around the edge of the bottom crust (to help seal the pie). Place the top crust over the pie. Cut off the extra edge and press down to seal.
- Brush some oil over the top of the pie.
- Cut three vents in the top. Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes.